Robin Turner wrote:

John Richard Smith wrote:

So what's this  "ncftp"  NC means ?
Now copy ?
]# rpm -qa | grep ncftp
]#

Ha,
ftp://216.254.0.38/linux/Mandrake/updates/9.2/RPMS/ncftp-3.1.6-0.1.92mdk.i586.rpm

does it again, it's downloading something but where to?
I'm going to stop it, and use d4x though , don't have to search for a dl directory.

So lets find out about it,

name ncftp
summary An improved FTP client
version 3.1.6 -0.1.92mdk
group Networking/File transfer
size 957063
description Ncftp is an improved FTP client. Ncftp's improvements include support for command line editing, command histories, recursive gets, automatic anonymous logins and more.

It went on easy, not fuss,

Lets see now, what does it do ?
Same result though .
somehow I think your supposed to do something else with it ?

cd to the directory you want before you start ncftp, or within ncftp use the lcd command to change the local directory. AFAIK you can't ncftp to a file, only a directory: once you're logged in you use the get or mget commands (the latter is if you want regular expressions e.g. "mget *.rpm").

Sir Robin

Sir Robin does it again,
so right,
]# cd /mnt/ext2-vol6/downloads2
localhost downloads2]# ncftp ftp://216.254.0.38/linux/Mandrake/updates/9.2/RPMS/ncftp-3.1.6-0.1.92mdk.i586.rpm
Use ncftpget or ncftpput to handle file URLs.
localhost downloads2]# ncftpget ftp://216.254.0.38/linux/Mandrake/updates/9.2/RPMS/ncftp-3.1.6-0.1.92mdk.i586.rpm
ncftp-3.1.6-0.1.92mdk.i586.rpm: 446.09 kB 2.72 kB/s
@localhost downloads2]#

Ah, yes.
I like it

So what does "ncftpput"  do for your then ?
is that for sending a file  or something ?

ncftp --help
NcFTP 3.1.6 (Aug 25, 2003) by Mike Gleason (http://www.NcFTP.com/contact/).
ncftp>

Hmm that doesn't tell me much looking for summat ?
help
Commands may be abbreviated.  'help showall' shows hidden and unsupported
commands.  'help <command>' gives a brief description of <command>.

ascii      cat        help       lpage      open       quit       show
bgget      cd         jobs       lpwd       page       quote      site
bgput      chmod      lcd        lrename    passive    rename     type
bgstart    close      lchmod     lrm        pdir       rhelp      umask
binary     debug      lls        lrmdir     pls        rm         version
bookmark   dir        lmkdir     ls         put        rmdir
bookmarks  get        lookup     mkdir      pwd        set

For details, please see the manual ("man ncftp" at your regular shell prompt
or online at http://www.NcFTP.com/ncftp/doc/ncftp.html).
ncftp>

I asked for that didn't I.
man ncftp
wow too much to reproduce here.

but maybe,
ncftp>
means it's looking for me to give it another url perhaps ?
ncftp> http://www.rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=Scribus&submit=Sea$
http://www.rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=Scribus&submit=Search+: no
such command.
no it's not.
so I'm, inside ncftp> lets give t a question,
ncftp> lookup
Usage: lookup [-v|-V] <host or IP number> [<more hosts or IP numbers>]
ncftp>
yes that's what it's about ?
ncftp> ascii
ascii: must be connected to do that. Oh !
so I was on the CL, so why wouldn't it dl the url I gave it ?
because the url is broken maybe ?
I donn't know.

John

--