--- Bryan Phinney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> On Wednesday 03 March 2004 09:37 am, Mike Fehse
> wrote:
>
> > Are you refering to log entries in your Intrudsion
> > Detection System (IDS) from your internet/intranet
> > connection?
>
> No, kernel logging of martian source packets which
> are packets that are expected to come from a
> particular route but are somehow seen or directed to

> an alternate one.  In my case, packets bound for
> loopback device that somehow get directed to eth0
and
> are thus seen as foreign or "martian."
>
> > If so, then a better place to post this
> > information may be the firewall mailing list.
> > None the less, I would be interested, as I am a
> > member on the IPCops.net forums for the IPCop
> > firewall, and any insights or help is much
> > apreaciated.
>
> Are you seeing martian source headers being logged
> in syslog on your system?
> --
> Bryan Phinney
> Software Test Engineer

Hi Bryan,
I use a firewall called IPCop, that was originaly
based on Smoothwall.  Both are Linux-based products,
using iptables, squid, and snot, with some custom
coding thrown in for good messure.  IPCop's
development team has theire web site at www.ipcop.org,
while the un-official user support forum, which I
belong to, is located at www.ipcops.net  We have about
six topics that deal with martians, and it pops up
regularly, hence, my interest.

Some times it is after a nasty day of mblaster,
code_red, and so forth, that some of our users find
the little green guys in the IDS logs.  Other times,
just adding a computer, or a new program, to theire
LAN does the same.  Since we can't always determind
the problem, just adding to the knowldge base is a
help.

Would you mind if I added your experiance to our FAQ?

=====
Mike (a.k.a. AWEV)
RLU 347983