On Tuesday 16 March 2004 07:01 pm, Langsley T Russell wrote:
> Hi all.
> I bought a beautiful new Samsung 191T plus 19 inch TFT LCD
> monitor. It has a resolution of 1280X1024 @75Hz. I'm running
> MDK 9.2. When I attach the new monitor and reboot everything
> goes fine through the entire boot process, then just as x
> starts to load (at least I think that's what's happening) the
> screen goes black and I get a dialogue box saying unusable
> signal. I don't see any way around this.
>
> Is there some way to setup my system using my CRT monitor so
> that when I attach my LCD monitor it will produce a "usable
> signal"? Or is there some way with the LCD monitor connected to
> do some sort of configuration of my system to make it usable?
> The monitor came with Linux setup instructions but I'll admit I
> don't really understand them and if I can't get a picture at
> all how can I configure anything?
>
> Thanks for any insight you can provide
>
> LTR  }}:{(
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

    I've had a Samsung 191N for several months now. Originally
with 9.2->cooker 10.0, now 10.0CE+updates. Never had a problem.
I briefly looked at the instructions that came with the monitor.
Then threw them in the trash.  To damn complicated, an looked to
be incorrect anyhow ;)

    So when I first used the monitor I rebooted and when the lilo
screen came up I hit <Esc> and ran 'linux 3'.  Actually I had
several kernels installed so I used '<kernel version> init 3' to
get to a level 3 prompt (text based). I then logged in as root
and ran 'XFdrake', selected "Generic Flat Panel @ 1280x1024",
made sure everything was as I wanted and saved/exited.

    Rebooted and the monitor was set up as you say at 1280x1024 @
75Hz. which is it's native resolution. IIRC, I also had to press
the "Auto" button on the front panel to correctly center the
screen. With the Mandrake Move live CD, the monitor starts at
1600x1200, and then I haft'a use XFdrake to resize it. So even
with the wrong XF-config settings the 191T should startup.

    BUT, what you see on the monitor (any system) is a product of
your motherboard/PSU, your video card, and your monitor workin
together. Your problem doesn't sound like it's the monitor. I
have a nVidia GeF4 using the XFree 'nv' driver, on a Asus A7V600
(kt600 chipset) with a 430w Antec PSU.  If you want, I'll send
you my XFree config file, 'ddcxinfos', and 'xdpyinfo' (offlist).

--
      Tom Brinkman                 Corpus Christi, Texas
               Proud to be an American