On Wed, 2004-03-17 at 12:01, Langsley T Russell wrote:
> Hi all.
> I bought a beautiful new Samsung 191T plus 19 inch TFT LCD monitor. It
> has a resolution of 1280X1024 @75Hz. I'm running MDK 9.2. When I attach
> the new monitor and reboot everything goes fine through the entire boot
> process, then just as x starts to load (at least I think that's what's
> happening) the screen goes black and I get a dialogue box saying
> unusable signal. I don't see any way around this.
>
> Is there some way to setup my system using my CRT monitor so that when I
> attach my LCD monitor it will produce a "usable signal"? Or is there
> some way with the LCD monitor connected to do some sort of configuration
> of my system to make it usable? The monitor came with Linux setup
> instructions but I'll admit I don't really understand them and if I
> can't get a picture at all how can I configure anything?
>
> Thanks for any insight you can provide
>
> LTR  }}:{(
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

When X is trying to start up (with the LCD plugged in) you can hit
CTRL-ALT-F2 which should take you to a secondary login in text mode; if
you can get to that, login in text mode and then after logging in, run
/usr/sbin/XFdrake - and change the monitor settings; probably a good
idea to reboot after doing that (on the command line, type "reboot") -
then ya should be good to go from there.

stephen kuhn - owner
illawarra computer services
a kuhn media australia company
http://kma.0catch.com
Traffic signals in New York are just rough guidelines. -- David
Letterman