Tom Brinkman wrote:

On Tuesday 16 March 2004 07:01 pm, Langsley T Russell wrote:

Hi all.
I bought a beautiful new Samsung 191T plus 19 inch TFT LCD
monitor. It has a resolution of 1280X1024 @75Hz. I'm running
MDK 9.2. When I attach the new monitor and reboot everything
goes fine through the entire boot process, then just as x
starts to load (at least I think that's what's happening) the
screen goes black and I get a dialogue box saying unusable
signal. I don't see any way around this.

Is there some way to setup my system using my CRT monitor so
that when I attach my LCD monitor it will produce a "usable
signal"? Or is there some way with the LCD monitor connected to
do some sort of configuration of my system to make it usable?
The monitor came with Linux setup instructions but I'll admit I
don't really understand them and if I can't get a picture at
all how can I configure anything?

Thanks for any insight you can provide

LTR }}:{(
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

I've had a Samsung 191N for several months now. Originally with 9.2->cooker 10.0, now 10.0CE+updates. Never had a problem. I briefly looked at the instructions that came with the monitor. Then threw them in the trash. To damn complicated, an looked to be incorrect anyhow ;)

So when I first used the monitor I rebooted and when the lilo screen came up I hit <Esc> and ran 'linux 3'. Actually I had several kernels installed so I used '<kernel version> init 3' to get to a level 3 prompt (text based). I then logged in as root and ran 'XFdrake', selected "Generic Flat Panel @ 1280x1024", made sure everything was as I wanted and saved/exited.

Rebooted and the monitor was set up as you say at 1280x1024 @ 75Hz. which is it's native resolution. IIRC, I also had to press the "Auto" button on the front panel to correctly center the screen. With the Mandrake Move live CD, the monitor starts at 1600x1200, and then I haft'a use XFdrake to resize it. So even with the wrong XF-config settings the 191T should startup.

BUT, what you see on the monitor (any system) is a product of your motherboard/PSU, your video card, and your monitor workin together. Your problem doesn't sound like it's the monitor. I have a nVidia GeF4 using the XFree 'nv' driver, on a Asus A7V600 (kt600 chipset) with a 430w Antec PSU. If you want, I'll send you my XFree config file, 'ddcxinfos', and 'xdpyinfo' (offlist).

Tom, while we're on the topic of Monitors, When I have to switch between XP and Linux I always have to hit the "auto" button. Can that be stopped? Also, anyway to make the fonts clearer? I've got the XFT set to 140 which is what I measured with GIMP. They are better now then they were before doing that.

--
Troy T. Hall
Registered Linux User #342150