On Sunday 21 Mar 2004 17:02, Arthur Rosene wrote:
> hi
>
> i'm running 9.2.  i've got two boxes that i'm using both of them
> dedicated both to xp and mdk 9.2.  i tried samba once, awhile back.. and
> it was a very difficult thing for me.  if it had not been for a very
> kind individual on #samba to hold my hand i would not have been able to
> backup my data.  and not all of it could be backed up which really
> puzzled us both.
>
> just curious if there is an easy way to setup samba.  kinda like the
> simple file sharing feature of xp.  basically just know the network
> name, and if absolutely necessary, Admin login and pass.  i've never
> used webmin or swat so i'm not sure if either of these programs would do
> the trick.  just looking an easy way to share my mdk files with a xp
> machine.  i've networked xp to mdk though its been so long i've
> forgotten how to do that too.  need to research that as well.

Samba should work virtually "out of the box" The only thing you normally have
to change is the Workgroup name, and add your Windows passwords.

If you install the drakwizard RPM then your Mandrake Control Centre will
contain a set of server wizards. The Samba wizard will install samba for you
and change your workgroup name. When the wizard closes it will remind you to
run 'smbpasswd -a user_name'  for each Windows users who wishes to access
their home directories on Linux. Give the *Windows* password of the user.

Alternatively install ksambaplugin  (from a contrib mirror), and your KDE
control Centre will contain a samba server configuration panel.

I would not recommend using SWAT to set up samba because it will erase and
replace the existing samba configuration file together with all the helpful
comments which are embedded in it.

HTH
derek

--