Anne Wilson wrote:

> Derek - I've no experience with doing this on W2K or XP, but Win98
> doesn't allow you to log in as such, in my experience.  It just
> attempts to connect with the existing username and password.

Win95, 98 and ME will do as you've experienced; log in with existing
username and password. Win NT, 2000 and XP lets you specify username and
password, if you want to, when connecting to the share. This has lead to
some trouble, since win NT below service pack 3 would send password in
palin text, whilst servicepack 3 inroduced password encryption. can be
changed with a registryhack bundled with samba. (Of course, the registry
key is diffrent on NT compared to 2000, and again different on XP, i think)

/Björn