On Mon, 2004-03-22 at 18:10, John A. Sullivan III wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-03-22 at 11:01, Paul wrote:
> > On Mon, 2004-03-22 at 17:48, John A. Sullivan III wrote:
> > > Pardon me if I am sounding a bit paranoid but it has been a very long
> > > weekend testing various alternatives to RedHat.  There is a lot that I
> > > like about Mandrake but have found some things infuriating.  I
> > > downloaded the three iso images and did not register.  I wanted to see
> > > if our organization wanted to further investigate the Mandrake route
> > > before investing.
> > >
> > > I know that the commercial packages are not available without paid
> > > membership with Mandrake but kernel documentation and freeswan and
> > > tripwire are certainly no commercial (well at least the gpl'd
> > > tripwire).  What is this fourth CD? Is there some intentional crippling
> > > for those who have not purchased a membership beyond the commercial
> > > software / license limitations? Thanks - John
> >
> > All you are likely to need are on the 3 ISOs, when installing just click
> > on 'cancel' when it asks for number 4.
> >
> > BTW, I'd recommend you use version 9.2 for evaluation purposes, 10 is
> > not yet considered stable enough for commercial distribution.
> >
> > Paul M.
> Thanks but what if you want to install some of the packages on CD4,
> e.g., tripwire or superfreeswan?

The easiest/preferred way to install software with mandrake is using
urpmi.

If you go to the easy urpmi site at http://urpmi.org/easyurpmi/index.php
it'll give you the necessary commands. Then when you want to add
software use the command (e.g.)

urpmi tripwire

this will also take care of dependencies.

Paul M
--
And in the beginning, man created religion.