On Fri, 2 Apr 2004 00:50:09 -0800
Asa Rossoff disseminated the following:

> and weather p2p music sharing is good, bad, or immaterial to the recording
> industry, I don't know.  It's *certainly* good for _music_ itself, and
> undoubtedly significantly increases distribution of music, particularly music
> outside of the big-label-mainstream stuff.

I think the study leaves little in doubt about that, since it points out that
other 'industries' have seen *increases* in revenue despite online filesharing
of their product.

I love this quote from a piece I just read by the General Counsel for the FSF:

"The music company continues to take ninety-four percent of the gross for
promoting and distributing music, and the twelve-year-olds who take zero off the
top do a better job."

Link:

http://moglen.law.columbia.edu/publications/maine-speech.html

--