On Sat, 2004-04-03 at 15:31, frankieh wrote:
> I have next to no knowledge of making rpms,

> but if nobody with more experiance pops up their heads and volenteers..
> I will give it a shot and make it
> publically available..

Interestingly a story about the latest version of XPde has cropped up on
slashdot:
http://developers.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/04/03/2322233&mode=thread&tid=106&tid=185&tid=189

I don't have any experience but from some browsing the installation
instructions are:
"
 General installation instructions:
 -Decompress the tar.gz in /usr/share as root
 -Edit the .xinitrc file of the user you want to run XPde and put this
line:
 /usr/share/xpde/bin/startxpde
 -Start X
"
http://support.xpde.com/

If you're looking to build an rpm, you'd presumably have to write a
script, which does some of the above. I've heard that checkinstall is
very good for capturing the behaviour of the script and putting it all
together, if you work out how to write the script! I'm not quite sure
what you would do for the user specific stuff- maybe do it system wide
in /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc ? Or leave it to the user to actually enable
it if they want? Perhaps this software needs some adapting to work with
a package based system!

Good luck!

A.