On Sunday 09 May 2004 01:23 pm, Tom Brinkman wrote:
> > I think he was referring to what the compression did to it. I
> > listened to what the link had and it was ugly. I had to crank
> > my Monsoon speakers almost max and listen a couple of times
> > before I figured out what it was.
>
>    Same as me. I had to turn speaker volume (on the spkr system)
> way up to hear the difference.

It's actually much easier to hear with earphones, which is the only way my
wife will let me listen to my music. :-)

> It wasn't recognizeable to me
> other than knowin the answer beforehand. I still don't understand
> the purpose of the exercise.

To *hear* what the compression process takes out of the track.  So many state
that they can hear the difference betwwen a cd and an mp3/ogg.  Well I don't
have that good an ear, and I was curious as to what was being thrown away by
the encoder.  I thought the best way to understand it was to hear it, so I
tried to isolate what was being removed.

--
/g