On Wed, 2004-04-28 at 05:59, Miark wrote:

> > > We had a little tiff yesterday 'cause they disconnected me and
> > > couldn't figure out how to get me back up.  Three hours on the
> > > phone, coupled with firing up a windows box naked on the modem, and
> > > they finally got it going, but much faster than it used to be.
> >
> > that seems to be the main problem with Comcast etal they go into
> > hysterics if you say Linux.
>
> In two years I've lost my connection three times. The first time
> I called Comcast, the person gave me the "we don't support Linux"
> diatribe. But during the next problem, I had to go to "level 2"
> support or some such thing because they had a DNS problem. The
> guy at that level didn't seem to flinch when I told him I was on
> a Linux box. And this last time (about 5 months ago) I was on the
> line with a woman who didn't seem to care that I was running
> Linux, and in fact was somewhat impressed that I could
> ifdown/ifup my NIC so quickly and without rebooting my computer.
>
> I always _expect_ resistance, but I've been pleasantly surprised
> more often than not with Comcast.
>
> Miark

Veeeeery interesting.  I saw some numbers on Comcast when I was watching
Bulls & Bears on Fox this weekend and I was impressed with the growth of
the company and their market share.  Now I know why they are growing so
fast and outpacing the competition.  I believe the main factor is the
Linux awareness.

This also is a strong indicator to the extent with which Linux has
penetrated the public sector.

One problem Cox has is that all their stuff is M$ based.  They are
always having problems in our area and are one of those stupid ISP's
that try to solve their own M$ problems by shutting down their smtp
access.

LX