On Tue, Apr 27, 2004 at 11:59:51AM +0200, Kaj Haulrich wrote:
> On Tuesday 27 April 2004 00:40, Todd Slater wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 26, 2004 at 11:25:18PM +0200, Kaj Haulrich wrote:
> > > Just discovered the new Opera 7.50 beta. Fastest browser this
> > > side of the universe. Completely new interface. Marvellous !
> > >
> > > Kaj Haulrich.
> >
> > Kaj,
> >
> > How's the RSS reader? I hear it's integrated with the mail client
> > M2. It's been a while since I used Opera, but I thought about
> > trying it again when I heard about it's RSS capabilities. Ya
> > wouldn't be willing to post a screenie of it displaying an RSS
> > feed, would ya? ;)
>
> Eh... Ahem.... What's RSS... Really Speedy System ?
>
> Educate me Todd, and I'll be glad to send you screenshots.

Like Derek said, RSS is Really Simple Syndication, or Rich Site Summary,
or RDF Site Summary, depending on who you ask. It's an XML-type document
that describes the "stories" on a page. A user can put the RSS URL in an
aggregator and the aggregator displays it. For Linux, there are a few
aggregators: Liferea (rpm available for 9.2 or 10), Syndigator (now in
GTK2), Straw (don't know much about it). There's also an RSS panel
plugin for Mozilla/Firefox.

I'm looking forward to the day when weblogs, news sites, email, usenet
etc. are all integrated in one interface like an aggregator: read a
story on the net via the aggregator, post a reply directly from the
aggregator, or email the author, same with usenet and mail. They're all
just messages, after all.

Todd