On Apr 28, 2004, at 10:09, Aron Smith wrote:

On Wednesday 28 April 2004 08:03 am, Lyvim Xaphir wrote:
On Wed, 2004-04-28 at 05:59, Miark wrote:
On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 03:06:55 -0700, Aron wrote:
Comcast rocks. It's fast, and they don't block SMTP ports. Their
service kills the competition in my neck of the woods.

We had a little tiff yesterday 'cause they disconnected me and couldn't figure out how to get me back up. Three hours on the phone, coupled with firing up a windows box naked on the modem, and they finally got it going, but much faster than it used to be.

that seems to be the main problem with Comcast etal they go into hysterics if you say Linux.

In two years I've lost my connection three times. The first time I called Comcast, the person gave me the "we don't support Linux" diatribe. But during the next problem, I had to go to "level 2" support or some such thing because they had a DNS problem. The guy at that level didn't seem to flinch when I told him I was on a Linux box. And this last time (about 5 months ago) I was on the line with a woman who didn't seem to care that I was running Linux, and in fact was somewhat impressed that I could ifdown/ifup my NIC so quickly and without rebooting my computer.

I always _expect_ resistance, but I've been pleasantly surprised
more often than not with Comcast.

Miark

Veeeeery interesting. I saw some numbers on Comcast when I was watching
Bulls & Bears on Fox this weekend and I was impressed with the growth of
the company and their market share. Now I know why they are growing so
fast and outpacing the competition. I believe the main factor is the
Linux awareness.

This also is a strong indicator to the extent with which Linux has
penetrated the public sector.

One problem Cox has is that all their stuff is M$ based.  They are
always having problems in our area and are one of those stupid ISP's
that try to solve their own M$ problems by shutting down their smtp
access.

LX
That's why I picked speakeasy.net they love linux

I am currently also using speakeasy.net. unfortunately, the only thing available in my area as far as DSL is concerned is IDSL which is limited to 144K and costs a fortune (~$100 a month). Now Comcast Internet is also available but I am hesitant to switch. While they are cheaper, it is still $62 a month for a home network (which I don't need, but this is all they currently seem to offer) and I am afraid they will start blocking certain ports one day. The nice thing about Speakeasy is that the license allows you to run servers on your connection while Comcast's does not. I am running my own mail server and I am afraid that Comcast will block it one day, leaving me without email.

Avi