On Sun, 2004-05-02 at 22:45, David B. Williams wrote:
> On Sunday 02 May 2004 11:14 am, Lyvim Xaphir wrote:
> > On Sat, 2004-05-01 at 22:57, David B. Williams wrote:
> > > OK- Tried the install and that went off without any problems. When I
> > > changed the  /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file to use the nvidia driver instead
> > > of nv, the system booted to the command line. I check the config file and
> > > it had been changed back to nv.
> > > What I am trying to do is get the 3D stuff working so that I can use some
> > > of the options on xscreensaver as well as a solitare game that I bought
> > > (and had working under 9.1).
> > > I have Mesa loaded and installed.
> > > I guess that I don't have some config file set correctly, but am at a
> > > loss as what to look for next.
> > > DBW
> >
> > You need to get the latest Nvidia drivers from the Nvidia website and
> > run the installer.  When you do it will tell you if it has an interface
> > ready and available for the kernel.  If it doesn't, then it will tell
> > you that as well, and at that point it will ask you about recompiling.
> > Run thru the questions and you should have some new Nvidia drivers
> > installed.
> >
> > After that you naturally need to follow the directions listed in
> >
> > /usr/share/doc/NVIDIA_kernel-2.4.22.26mdk-5328
> >
> > Or whatever other /usr/share/doc/NVIDIA_* directory was created.  These
> > directions will tell you what you need to do to the XF86Config-4 file.
> >
> > If you get it working ok a report back telling about success would be
> > nice.
> >
> > LX
>
> Nothing ever works that easy for me.
> Downloaded the 5336 run pkg.
> Run it and get errors said that I needed to recompile
> Made sure I had the Kernal sources loaded and tried the installer and then I
> get an error from the installer that it can't determine the NVIDIA Kernal
> level.
> Now I am running 2.6.3-7 and the NVIDIA files are for 2.4
> I expected to recompile for the 2.6 but it don't seem to get very far.
> Where do I go from here?
> DBW

Good question.  My first thought is that you need to make absolutely
sure that the installed kernel source does indeed match your installed
kernel.  Check /boot against /usr/src.

Next thing is not good news.....I have never experimented with the 2.6
version kernel yet.  I stayed with the latest 2.4 version for now
because I was scared of possible compatibility problems.  2.6 is still
really really new.  One thing you want to be careful of is to do your
research BEFORE you decide to move up.  If Nvidia doesn't have a kernel
for 2.6 then you don't want to go there.  The video drivers for a
working workstation always take priority over installing the latest
wiz-bang kernel; you base your upgrade decisions on the available video
card driver and the compatible kernel, not the kernel and then a video
driver match.

When you move up too fast you always shoot yourself in the leg.  Unless
you have a test machine set aside specifically for experimentation.  Or
unless you have two large hard drives and some hard drive trays for
quick change and hard drive swap.

One drive could be used for developmental testing, the other drive could
be used as your email/workstation/gaming drive, and the hard drive tray
would allow you a painless swap, and you could test things new until
they worked to your satisfaction on the new drive.

Now that you've suffered the speech, I'll give you the short answer.  If
you cannot make 2.6 work with the kernel and the Nvidia site says
nothing about 2.6 support, you need to drop back to the latest 2.4
kernel.

LX