Had similar problems too using the Club RPM's, the LTModem install doesn't
work properly on Kernel 2.6 yet, it adds lines to the old
2.4 /etc/modules.conf file instead of the new /etc/modprobe.conf file.  Copy
the lines for ltmodem from modules.conf to modprobe.conf and things should
work better.

Note on my system the ltmodem is actually at /dev/tts/LT0, /dev/modem is
dynamically created when first referred to and made to point to this by the
alias lines added to the modprobe.conf file.

John.