I have the same problem.  I just open a commanline and type in 'xmms &' to
send XMMS to the background.

Also, if you open XMMS via the menu and you can't close it, open a
commandline, type in 'ps aux' and find the line that is for XMMS.  Then
type in 'kill ' + the PID that the ps told you was for XMMS.  It is the
second column on the ps.  That will kill the process and you don't have to
restart X.

As for a better fix, no idea.  I am using MDK10CE and it has the same
problem.

Troy Davidson
Linux User #311107

Follow the adventures of a
real life computer and
      gaming nerd!

   www.clandaith.com

** This messages was composed on a 100% Microsoft free computer **