On Mon, 17 May 2004 07:19:27 +1000
Stephen Kuhn disseminated the following:

> > workgroup is simply, well, WORKGROUP (original, I know. :-) and they both
> > have
> > static ip's within my home lan.
> >
> > One other thing, that is probably fairly critical, I can  see the printer
> > shares on my G4 from the MDK box. just no file shares.
> >
> > --Gina
>
> I think that this might have something to do with the firewall on the
> MDK machine; have you tried disabling it and then being able to share
> the files?

Wouldn't the firewall only block inbound connection attempts? And even if it was
blocking outgoing, why is the shared printer showing?

If I know anything about Linux, it's pissy about permissions. Do the perms on
the shared dirs on the G4 (droooool) include read access for your user/others?
This could include a chmod +x (do you have chmod on a Mac?) on the dirs so they
are 'searchable'. Are the usernames in sync (not that this is strictly
necessary)?

--
JoeHill RLU #282046 /  www.orderinchaos.org
Kernel 2.4.22-21.tmb.1mdk Mandrake Linux release 9.2 (FiveStar) for i586