I upgraded my Mandrake 9.1 system to 10.0 via a net install, and I'm
puzzled by some of the "after effects". I'm only just starting to
play around with Linux, so don't underestimate my ignorance....

First question. I use GRUB as a boot manager, and this box only runs
Linux. After the update, I find the following in the GRBU boot menu

linux
linux_nonfb
floppy
old_linux
old_linux_nonfb
263-7
2421-013
failsafe

So most of those I understand, but anyone know what the numeric
entries represent?

Second question - 9.1 ran just fine on this PC (600 MHz PIII, 512 MB
of memory) but once I'd installed 10.0 I noticed a lot of disk
thrashing going on. I ran up KDE system guard (I"m using the version
of KDE which came with 10.0, and that's the only desktop I've
installed) to find that I'd only got a couple of megs of memory free,
which explains the thrashing, but what puzzles me is some of the
entries in the task list. I seem to have multiple copies of a whole
bunch of things running.

As far as servers that I've installed are concerned, I have MySQL,
ProFTP and Apache (that I'm aware of). I've also got Kylix on the PC,
but that doesn't have anything sitting in the background until you
actually run it. Anyway, what puzzles me is that I've got six copies
of httpd2, one with a login of root and five with a login of apache,
six copies of mingetty, five of saslauthd, and a couple of other
programs which show two or three instances. Can anyone tell me
whether the footprint of 10.0 with KDE really is this large, or has
something gone wrong with the update process?

As above, don't underestimate my ignorance of Linux. I used to write
Fortran programs under some variant of Unix 25 years ago, and that's
about the extent of my knowledge of Unix/Linux systems. Since then
all my PC work has been with Billy G's offerings. At the moment, I
know about enough of Mandrake to navigate round the file system and
to fire up Kylix.

Thanks,

Brian.