On Friday 04 Jun 2004 11:06 pm, Brian Meadows wrote:
> > Thanks for the info, but I'm still not convinced. If this
> > constant disk access really is normal for a Linux system, I'm
> > going to buy shares in some hard drive manufacturers!

The Ext3 file system will cause disc activity every 5 seconds  as it updates
the journal. So there will always be activity, but you described 'thrashing'
which is not to be expected unless you are short of memory. If this is the
case using a lighter window manager than KDE could be beneficial.

It is to be expected to have a lot of disc activity shortly after the system
starts as it performs it daily maintenance jobs. These jobs include
compressing and archiving log  files, indexing manual pages, and running
security checks. These jobs normally run at 4a.m. but if your computer is
powered off overnight they run after power on (So long as the anacron package
is installed)

derek

--
www.jennings.homelinux.net