On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 16:44:21 +0300
robin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Lee Wiggers wrote:
> > On Wed, 2 Jun 2004 17:08:15 +0000
> > Lee Wiggers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> ><sigh>>>
> >>>

> >>Robin's "Delete 'em all and let God sort it out" approach struck
> >>me as appropriate.
> >>
> >>Try that in Windows, Bill.
> >>
> >>Thanks all for the response.
> >>
> >>Lee
> >>

> > \
> >

> > Continuing tale.
> >
> > Deleted /home/.openoffice
> >
> > Started oowriter
> >
> > Still can't change .doc save.
> >
> > I know this is a conspiracy.
> >
> > I went over to my brother's machine, changed the default to
> > .doc, changed it back to .sxw and every time when I left and
> > came back, the default was where I left it.
> >
> > On my machine, .doc rules.  Period.
> >
> > Is this possible?
> >

> Try running setup as root first. I'm not sure where it will be on
> your system - if you used the Mandrake RPM, it's probably
> /usr/lib/openoffice/setup.  Then wipe your ~/.openoffice directory
> again and run as user.
>
> Another idea - have you had a look at the file associations for
> whatever desktop environment(s) you are using? It's a very long
> shot, but it's remotely possible that if OO is associated with
> .doc files and nothing else, it's getting the message that you
> want .doc files. Sounds absurd, but it's the only other theory I
> can come up with.
>
> Sir Robin
>
> --
This gets better.

I tried everything suggested.  Still the same default save to .doc

Then I urpme'ed the whole oo, libs and all.

Then I urpmi'ed them.

File association is .sxw.
New installation of oo
Same problem.

Still insists on starting with .doc save default.

It's not a real problem.  I can save .sxw.  Just don't like the
machine winning.

It's sure not worth subscribing to the wincentric oo lists.  They're
more aggravating than their program (barely).

Thanks for the suggestions.

Lee