M.Schild wrote:
The moral is, if you must have a WinModem, get one with a Lucent chipset. I haven't found one yet that I couldn't get to work with
the free driver, and the whole modem costs less than the Conexant
driver.

I find the Linux distros should put on warning on their boxes saying
use a ext. modem. Imagine someone who decides to buy a computer
without an OS and an internal modem .He  decides to install Linux but
the modem is not detected/supported. How do you get to download a
driver without a functioning modem? When I bought this machine, they
sellers told me I would have no problem with Mandrake and the int.
modem ( I donīt have Windows). I am suspicious and still had my
external one....so they could send me a driver. Maryse

You will run into the same problem with any OS. The main difference is that most winmodem manfactures do not ship a Linux driver with the modem. (Or have one at all.) If I remember right, it is a legal issue that keeps the driver from being shipped with Linux.

I think the hardware should come with the warning. Let the buyer know that they are not buying a real modem.

Mikkel

for you are crunchy and taste good with Ketchup!