On Tue, 8 Jun 2004 12:31 am, M.Schild wrote:
> > There are _some_ internal modems that work quite well with Linux --
> > without drivers. The tricky bit is finding them.
>
> Maybe but if you are new to Linux and proudly want to install it on a new
> machine you get stuck.  What would your next move be? Windows?
> Maryse

That has to be my answer. I am going to our local community centre tomorrow,
some miles away from our place in the bush to download the kernel source
which I need to get the winmodem on my Acer 1350 lappy working. The problem
is that even there, it will take some time because we are too isolated to get
broadband with anything faster than dialup speed, and satellite is fairly
slow as well.

But here at home where the telephone system is 2 tin cans connected by a thin
string, it is even slower. We are moving onto solar power and I need that
lappy because it uses less power. I moved from that to real live power, but
have to move back.

If I can't get this modem working in Linux, I am back to windows which I
haven't used for a couple of years. Fact of life. Tough but unavoidable.

Charlie.

--
Registered Linux User:- 329524