M.Schild wrote:
There are _some_ internal modems that work quite well with Linux --
 without drivers. The tricky bit is finding them.

Maybe but if you are new to Linux and proudly want to install it on a
new machine you get stuck. What would your next move be? Windows? Maryse

Well, you would run into the same problem with Windows, unless you had the drivers for the modem. I have had to search the net with another machine and download modem drivers before being able to connect to the net and get the rest of the drivers I needed. For the most part, I have had less trouble getting hardware to work with Linux, then with Windows.
The exceptions tend to be installing NEW printers or winmodems when I have the drivers provided by the manfacture. Unfortunitly, most winmodems and winprinters do not come with Linux drivers.

By the way, exactly what does the box say about hardware requirments? I have not bothered to read it in a long time! I know the supported hardware lists on the net tend to be a bit conservitive.

Mikkel

for you are crunchy and taste good with Ketchup!