On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 15:00:54 -0700
Amy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Johan Sch wrote:
> > Hi list,
> >
> > It happened too me twice today .. urpmi taken permanent vacation after update ..
> > it seems that it just wipes dependencies .. even its own .. after some years of
> > using and trusting it I was let down.
> >
> > Well I have seen this some time ago.
> >
> > Kindly point me to site were I can try to find the mail please.
> > Maybe if it is short kindly explain please.
> >
> > I did a repair by popping cd 1 and upgrade same system .. some side effects ..
> > nvidia must be re-istalled  .. urpmi in MCC additional sites wiped .. maybe
> > something else I stiil have not discovered.
> >
> > Thanks
>
> I've had that happen to me. Basically what you have to do is go find the
> rpm packages to install yourself by spelunking through ftp and stuff,
> and install everything package by package. Annoying, but I managed to do
> it with the help of my friend, and I'm fairly new to all this stuff.
>
>  From what I was told, urpmi is a fairly simple program, so it just
> removes what needs to be removed, then installs the new stuff. But when
> one of the things it removes is one of it's dependencies, it'll remove
> itself too because it wasn't told ~not~ to.
>
> Good luck on getting that rolling. I haven't had a problem with it again
> since I had to reinstall it the hard way.

Kind of you to reply, thanks. I did not have such good friend. I wiped that OS of the
HD and reinstalled. Lucky I rsync my home dir and my updates from .../urpmi/rpms to a
spare partition on regular bases.
So to reach my previous state took 5 hrs.
If this was the easy or the hard way I am not so sure.
Regards
--
Johan Sch
Registered Linux User #33034