-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Matt Stegman
Sent: Monday, November 08, 1999 3:32 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [newbie] Choose Pentium? OR 586?

On  5 Nov, John Aldrich wrote:
> On Fri, 05 Nov 1999, you wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> In menuconfig, (I have a feeling this is a dumb question) I
>> automatically have 386 with an "X" next to it.  I have a Pentium 233
>> mHz.  Is that technically a 586?  I'm not sure whether to tell it that
>> or Pentium.  My Linux book says to check 586 but I'm not sure why.
>>
> Yes! A Pentium is a 586-class processor. I think Technically a
> Pentium is a 586, a Pentium Pro is a 686, a PII would be a 786, and a
> PIII would be an 886

Not quite.  P-II and P-III are both 686 processors.  The first (or so I
hear) truly 7th generation x86 processor on the market is AMD's Athlon
processor.  The P-III is just a hyped up P-II, which is just a P-Pro
with MMX.  Of course, I'm over-simplfying, but I believe I'm mostly
correct.  I do know for sure that neither the P-II nor P-III qualify as
anything more than a "686" processor.

--
     -Matt Stegman
     <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>