Hi "Darin Martin" !

On 11/8/99 9:34:23 PM, you wrote:
>> BING!  Wrong.  Merced is a different technology (IA-64) that HP is
>> designing for Intel using some of the HP-PA wizardry.  The first chip
>> in that series seems like it won't be much faster than the 786 chips
>> due next year...
>> ... which are called Williamette.  They'll be Intel's first official
>> 786 chips and will probably have a number of similar tricks to AMD's
>> Athlon to speed things up yet again.
>>

>Umm.. Sorry, but you are in fact, incorrect...

I'm not.  Maybe the way I phrased it may have looked like I was saying
Merced was a 786 when its not.

>And, if you go to this page, you will see the IA-32 is targeted at mainstram
>desktop, mobile, and low end server/workstations while the IA-64 (Merced) is
>targeted at high-end servers.

I know that, I didn't say it wasn't.

>The Merced (aka Itanium) uses the IA-64 architecture which is backward
>compatible with IA-32.. But the Willamete design is IA-32 only.. Not IA-64.

I know, thats what I was saying...
Intel are continuing the x86 line (IA32) with the Williamette chips due
some time next year.  This will probably be the last new x86 core that
they'll do, after that they'll try to push everyone to the IA64.
The first IA64 chip is also due next year, and is called Itanium, as
we've discussed.  The Itanium is being designed a lot by HP (its an
HP/Intel cross-development thing, but a lot of the original Intel guys
on the project left).  Even HP are saying that the IA64 won't hold up
much until the second generation of it, codename McKinley I believe,
hence my statement that the Itanium wouldn't be much faster than the
786 (Williamette).

Damien Mc Kenna   Keene State College, BSc Computer Science Student
http://www.mckenna.brinet.net/    [EMAIL PROTECTED]    ICQ 17066133