Hi John Aldrich !

On 11/5/99 9:05:01 PM, you wrote:
>Yes! A Pentium is a 586-class processor. I think Technically a
>Pentium is a 586, a Pentium Pro is a 686, a PII would be a 786, and a
>PIII would be an 886 (hmm.....scary....almost the same code # as the
>"first PC" processors! <G>)

A Pentium is a 586, and all the chips that use the PentiumPro core are
686s, ie the PentiumII, PentiumIII, Celeron, Coppermine P3's, Xeons, etc,
are all 686s!  The Williamette, due for launch next year, will be Intel's
first next-generation (786) core, and probably last too.  The Athlon (K7)
is comparable to a 786, and AMD are working on an "886" core too, the K8.

Damien Mc Kenna   Keene State College, BSc Computer Science Student
http://www.mckenna.brinet.net/    [EMAIL PROTECTED]    ICQ 17066133