On Wednesday 30 June 2004 12:28 pm, Hoyt Bailey wrote:
> On Wednesday 30 June 2004 11:21, Tom Brinkman wrote:

> My data: From sbcglobal.net.
> Primary DNS address 151.164.1.8
> Secondary DNS address 206.13.28.12
> Question:  Where do I put it so rp-ppoe or DNS of whatever does
> it will put it in '/etc/resolver.conf' because if I put it
> there directely that whatever overwrites it.

> I dont have an /etc/ppp.resolv.conf mine is /etc/resolv.conf.

     /etc/ppp/resolv.conf   you should have one. I have no idea
      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
why one wasn't created, but it should have

nameserver 151.164.1.8
nameserver 206.13.28.12

    ... in it.  AFAIK, /etc/resolv.conf is a file generated by the
binary file, /etc/resolv.conf.tmp   As I said, I think you need
somebody more knowlegeable about all this than me. I only thought
I might be of help since I also use sbcglobal.net and they seem
to do things a little differently than many other DSL ISP's.

> > DEVICE=eth0
> > BOOTPROTO=static
> >          ^^^^^^^^   Back during 9.x development, Mandrake
> > developers told me this didn't make sense, but now it's the
> > Mandrake default, at least the fresh installs I've done
> > since.
>
> What file is this information in?

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth?  (where ? = 0 or 1)

> > IPADDR=10.0.0.10
> > NETMASK=255.255.255.0
> > NETWORK=10.0.0.0
> > BROADCAST=10.0.0.255
> > ONBOOT=yes
> > MII_NOT_SUPPORTED=no
> >                 ^^^^^  that's for a very well supported
> > D-link 530 TX+ card.  You might try setting this to =yes
> > (which means MII will be disabled).
> >
> >     I suspect you've got some LAN misconfigure(s), but I
> > can't go there. Never done it.
>
> It wouldnt supprise me because I dont have a LAN and have no
> understanding of same.  Everything just happened.

   Yes, "Everything just happened" for me.  Other than some
initial problems when I first got DSL while usin 9.0, Mandrake
(cooker) installs have always configured eth0 for me after I
input the info during the install, and most all of the entries I
leave blank, or at default. About all I enter, IIRC, is
sbcglobal.net, my user ID and password. I don't start the connect
at boot, and I believe that is the default.

   Then a rp-pppoe run of 'adsl-setup' to answer about a half
dozen questions.  One of which one is to enter DNS, I just type
'server' and DNS is automagically obtained from sbcglobal.net.
Often after recent fresh installs (/home is saved), I don't even
need to re-do a 'adsl-setup'

     I avoid usin Mandrake's 'drakconnect'.  I believe recent
Mandrake versions install rp-pppoe when you choose 'adsl' during
install anyhow.
--
      Tom Brinkman                 Corpus Christi, Texas
               Proud to be an American