On Sat, 03 Jul 2004 08:16:25 -0500
Hoyt Bailey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Well I think I made all the changes that were recommended.  I still dont
> understand although I was able to contact my bank and access my account
> which is what really started all this.  It appears that everything is
> now working. But I have some questions.
> I went into the welcome screen, Configuration and redone the internet
> portion.
> Reset hostname to: 68.89.250.128
> Reset 1st DNS to:151.164.1.8
> Reset  2nd DNS to : 206.13.28.12
> Reset  3rd DNS to: 151.164.11.201 (provided by Tom)
> Rebooted the system.

You didn't need to reboot, a 'service network restart" as root will
restart your network with the changed parameters.

I'm still confused about why you set your hostname to an ip
address

> '/etc/resolv.conf' didnt change?
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] hoyt]$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
> search domain_not_set.invalid
> nameserver 192.168.0.1
> nameserver 192.168.0.1

Just to try and help us understand a little about your setup could you
post the results of both '/sbin/ifconfig' and '/bin/hostname'

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] hoyt]$ cat /etc/sysconfig/network
> HOSTNAME=68.89.250.128
> NETWORKING=yes
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] hoyt]$
> cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
> DEVICE=eth0
> BOOTPROTO=dhcp
> NETMASK=255.255.255.0
> ONBOOT=yes