This problem has plagued me for over 2 months and I'm at my wits end.
I've been in the process of moving for the past 3-4 months so haven't
been able to do anything about it.  The problem , in a nutshell, is that
I can not write to my floppy or CD-R drives, even as root.  The message
is that 'access is denied, could not write to /mnt/floppy/foo.bar.

If I use Supermount to mount the floppy and look at the permissions
under properties the option selected is 'Owner can view content'.  If I
try to select 'Owner can view and modify content' there is an error
message that "changing the attributes of files is not supported with
protocol devices".

If I try to mount a drive manually the error message is that there are
too many file systems, bad superblock, etc.  If I try to unmount the
drive the message is that there is no drive mounted.

This problem started with MDK 10.0 as downloaded.  Thinking that this
was the problem, I bought the pak from Mandrake but the problem is still
there.

The computer is a Sony Viao laptop but I was having the same problem on
my desktop machine.

There are a lot of important files that desperately need backing up,
someone please help!

Rich