Kaj Haulrich wrote:
On Monday 05 July 2004 19:04, Rich wrote:

This problem has plagued me for over 2 months and I'm at my wits
end. I've been in the process of moving for the past 3-4 months
so haven't been able to do anything about it.  The problem , in a
nutshell, is that I can not write to my floppy or CD-R drives,
even as root.  The message is that 'access is denied, could not
write to /mnt/floppy/foo.bar.

If I use Supermount to mount the floppy and look at the
permissions under properties the option selected is 'Owner can
view content'.  If I try to select 'Owner can view and modify
content' there is an error message that "changing the attributes
of files is not supported with protocol devices".

If I try to mount a drive manually the error message is that
there are too many file systems, bad superblock, etc.  If I try
to unmount the drive the message is that there is no drive
mounted.

This problem started with MDK 10.0 as downloaded.  Thinking that
this was the problem, I bought the pak from Mandrake but the
problem is still there.

The computer is a Sony Viao laptop but I was having the same
problem on my desktop machine.

There are a lot of important files that desperately need backing
up, someone please help!

Rich

Please post your /etc/fstab

none /mnt/floppy supermount dev=/dev/fd0, fs=auto,--,umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-1,sync,codepage=850 0 0

Rich