Here is the essential problem as I see it.

Many of us had Apache/PHP/MySQL running on machines using Mandrake 6.0
and everything was fine. When we upgraded  to 6.1 (much to my surprise),
I now had a version that no longer functioned properly.  Instead I now
had a version now called Advanced Extranet Server (including the midgard
module) which no longer worked at all on my php pages! My server was
suddenly dead in the water until I figured out the problem. Perhaps I am
unrealistic, but I would think that some that a choice should have been
available, or at least a clear explanation prominently displayed about
how to get back to the previous apache configuration that worked. While
Advanced Extranet Server may well be a great up and coming product, I was
not even able to get any information from their site (only a note to
check back in a few weeks it hasn't been released). I had no idea what
Midgard was and only knew it existed because my previously working php
pages now only displayed midgard related error messages.  I had to ask
questions (finally on the cooker list in desperation) and figure out for
myself how to get classic php back working in this distribution. Keep in
mind that Mandrake is largely packaged as a distribution for relative
newcomers, not those who relish finding out the hard way that upgrades no
longer work properly. I just think this aspect of the upgrade was poorly
planned. The other aspect that suprisingly  no longer works is
automatically bringing up virtual ethernet interfaces at bootup, ... but
that is a whole 'nother story I have posted repeatedly about.

Regards,

Eric Mings Ph.D.