JoeHill wrote:
On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 07:19:18 -0400
Lanman disseminated the following:

If you're a Sympatico client, check your email settings and take a close look at your PoP3 and SMTP server names. If they contain host names like
"pophm" and "smtphm" , your account has already been moved! If they don't contain those hostnames, then you'll be receiving an update from Sympatico sometime in the next 6 months. The "hm" in the hostname stands for "HOTMAIL", because that's the server that will be handling your emails!

Sorry, been otherwise occupied lately...

Just to be clear: at some point, I'm going to get a notice from Sympatico
telling me to change my e-mail settings to the new server names in order to send
and receive mail?

IStop here I come! I've already got the Alcatel modem, so no installation fee,
no modem rental, and I pay the same price I'm paying now. Oh wait, with IStop I
get a static IP for that same price :-)

Joe; Welcome back. According to new information, you were supposed to get an email from Microsoft or Bell-Sympatico, telling you to re-register with Passport so that Sympatico or Microsoft could verify that your email address was legit - ie; you weren't using some old email address from Sympatico which you may/may not have been using in the past via Hotmail or MSN.

Read the article for yourself and let me know if it makes any sense;

http://service.sympatico.ca/index.cfm?method=content.view&category_id=60&content_id=2109

In addition to this confusing piece of tripe, new users of Sympatico are required to change their Sympatico email password AT Microsoft's Passport site (not at Sympatico's site), so that they can activate their Sympatico email account! Those new customers will also have to get a M$ Passport if they don't already have one, including Hotmail and MSN, since you can't get a Passport without getting a Hotmail account.

They are also required to use the new POP3 and SMTP servers for their accounts (named as "pophm.sympatico.ca" and "smtphm.sympatico.ca" on Sympatico's new documentation), and I was told by a Sympatico supervisor that all customers would be getting moved gradually to the new system.

I suspect that the "hm" in the server names represents Sympatico's name policy for HotMail or Home-Microsoft, so that their techno-weenies can tell what configuration is required when dealing with clients who are having email problems.

In addition, those new servers will be parked at Microsoft's server-farm.

Don't that give you a warm, fuzzy feeling for Sympatico?

FYI, I've already filed a complaint with the CRTC and Sympatico has 30 days to respond, after which the CRTC will have a complaints panel review the situation.

Now you have the latest info. Sleep well!

Lanman