On Fri, 2004-07-09 at 20:46, John Richard Smith wrote:

> Much obliged Raffaele,that was what I'm looking for, though I still have
> a few lines unexplained, this is what I'm getting after a particular
> recurrence like this, kppp logs on and emails download,
> then halfway through the process my ISP seems to cut me off, this causes
> kppp to redial with this error message,
>
> ATZ
(initialisation string)
> OK
(returned an OK)

> AT &F1 &V1
(second init string - but I'd suggest using:
 AT &F &C1 &D2 E1 Q0 V1 instead)

> TERMINATION REASON.......... NONE
> LAST TX rate................ N/A
> HIGHEST TX rate............. 300 BPS
(should be 57600bps)

> LAST RX rate................ N/A
> HIGHEST RX rate............. 300 BPS
(should be 57600bps)

> PROTOCOL.................... N/A
> COMPRESSION................. N/A
> Line QUALITY................ 255
> Rx LEVEL.................... 214
> Highest Rx State............ 00
> Highest TX State............ 00
> EQM Sum..................... FFFF
> RBS Pattern................. FF
> Rate Drop................... FF
> Digital Loss................ FFFF
> Local Rtrn Count............ 00
> Remote Rtrn Count........... 00
> V90
>
> OK
> ATM1L1
> OK
> ATDT147008089916080
> NO CARRIER
>
> Question is why no carrier ?

(I think if you check the init string for "Hangup" - which should be
ATH0, this won't happen)

> The basic questions I need answering are,
>
> Am I being cut off because my ISP is overloaded and needs to make room
> for others,

I think it's line noise that cuts you off. Generally that's the main
reason.

stephen kuhn - proprietor