Charlie wrote:

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 07:44 pm, John Richard Smith sent these thoughts:

Martin Foster wrote:

However, I don't think that's what causing the problems.
Have you had a look at my other suggestions yet?

Can someone help me understand something.

In KPPP under modem, there is a line termination field with 3 choices.

CR,  CR/LF,  and something else I cannot just ths moment remember.

Googling around I find this to be something to do with the way "line termination" is
handled between unix and Dos. I read the spiel on it and it seems to be something to do with
inserting the numbers -13-10  in dos line termination, and simply -10- in unix code. Suffice it
to say I don't really understand it, but that is beside the point.

I had my modem setting set for CR the unix code line termination
criteria, is there a possibility that this just might cause kppp to
return "No Carrier" on it's first ISP cutoff and redial ?

What are the odds that having CR/LF set would cure my problem ?

John

Just CR works here John.

Yes ?

But maybe , just maybe, my modem works with the dos line termination code, and maybe yours works with either dos or unix, but kppp can be set to work either/both ways.

If I have it on unix line termination could it somehow mess up how the modem is thought to be to be available by kppp, so that when kppp asks the modem to redial, it gets back some signal to say the modem is still running.

Maybe not though. That would be like trying to get the modem to do two jobs at once, whensurely kppp wouldn't begin dialing if didn't get back from the modem a signal to say the modem is ready and waiting to dial. It's just that instead of logging in as it does on the first dialup it end with "no carier" instead.

Hmm, I'm flying kites.

It's just that I've now had modem set on CR/LF for 12 hours,
I've had numerous ISP cutoffs, but no failed email downoad, and no failed file download ending redialup to "no Carrier" So I'm wondering ?

John

--
John Richard Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]