Margot wrote:

Martin Foster wrote:

On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 11:46:18 +0100, John Richard Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

OK
ATM1L1
OK
ATDT147008089916080

Why are you using "1470" in front of your ISP's phone number?

Judging by your email address, your ISP is FreeServe. When I had an account with them, it was unnecessary to use "1470".

Freeserve is now Wanadoo - or, judging by their service, Wanadon't! I use the same number for dialup, and queried this with them - they said the 1470 is an essential part of their dialup number, or I'd get charged for the call by BT!

That is exactly how I understand it.
John

--
John Richard Smith