On Thu, 2004-07-15 at 00:19, Stephen Kuhn wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-07-15 at 05:51, Marco Verheul wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I just made the jump to 10.0 last weekend . All went very smoothly, but
> > unfornunately I still have no sound. I was hoping that it would get it
> > working with a fresh full install, but no.. (didn't work in 9.1 either).
> >
> > In Mandrake Control Center I see that 2 soundcards are detected:
> >
> > VT82C686 [Apollo Super AC97/Audio]
> >   Vendor: âVIA Technologies
> >   Alternative drivers: âvia82cxxx_audio
> >   Bus: âPCI
> >   Bus identification: â1106:3058:1106:4511
> >   Location on the bus: â0:7:5
> >   Module: âsnd-via82xx
> >   Media class: âMULTIMEDIA_AUDIO
> >
> > CT5880
> >   Vendor: âEnsoniq
> >   Alternative drivers: âsnd-ens1371
> >   Bus: âPCI
> >   Bus identification: â1274:5880:1274:8001
> >   Location on the bus: â0:b:0
> >   Module: âes1371
> >   Media class: âMULTIMEDIA_AUDIO
> >
> > I'm supposed to have a Sound blaster 4.1 digital (creative) installed. I
> > hope somebody can give me some clues on how to get things started.
> >
> > Marco
>
> Is your sound built into the motherboard (as it does kinda show) or is
> your Soundblaster a peripheral? (a card stuck in a slot) - if you DO
> have a Soundblaster card stuck in a slot, you might want to go into your
> BIOS and disable the onboard sound...I've had 50/50 with onboard VIA
> sound drivers...
>
> stephen kuhn - proprietor

Stephen,

I do have a card stuck in a slot. I disabled the onboard sound. As a
result I got a sound icon in the panel which wasn't there before, so I
guess there is some sort of recognition (but still no sound).

I tried to configure the sound system in:

System -> configuration -> KDE -> sound -> sound system

On the first tab I accepted the defaults. On the second I selected
autodetect and checked "Full duplex". When I hit the apply button I get
the error:

"Sound server informational message:
 Error while initializing the sound driver:
 device /dev/dsp can't be opened (No such file or directory)
 The sound server will continue, using the null output device."

I really could use any good ideas. Thanks!

Marco
--
Registered Linux user #268279
*     This message is composed on a 100% Microsoft free computer     *