On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 21:19:19 -0400, Lanman wrote
> Can someone provide info regarding switching from XFree86 to Xorg?
> I've been trying for day to get it working properly, and I'm still stumped.
> I'm running an ATI Radeon 9200SE AGP video card with 128MB onboard ram.
> XFree86 is installed and running, but I can't find the DRI module
> anywhere. It seems that without that module, I'm not going to get
> OpenGL to work.
>
> At the same time, Xorg running on another box, driving an NVidia
> card is detecting the card properly and loading the proper OpenGL
> driver module. Even so, Xorg refuses to give me OpenGL on the ATI
> card, and the drivers at ATI's site don't seem to be usable with
> XFree86-4.4.0 .
>
> Which version of which system should I be running on mandrake 10.0
> Official that will allow me to finally get OpenGL working? Also, if
> I migrate to Xorg, is there a new config file to set up, and if so,
>  what's the procedure?
>
> I'm getting a little peeved at running a Vesa module for this card,
>  and any help would be greatly appreciated. My eyes are turning into
> little brown wrinkled raisins!
>
> Lanman

I have exactly that same card running under Xorg, with fully functioning
acceleration.  Switching to Xorg is a no brainer.  Just install Xorg.  I
believe it replaces Xfree86 and creates links to the config file (uses the
exact same config file, no changes).  When you reboot, your x logs will look
exactly the same, only you'll see Xorg, where you might have seen Xfree86.
No extra kernel modules, no ATI kernels, no ATI drivers.  Just stock MDK
10.0.  Seems to me, the motherboard chipset may ultimately be a factor as
different agp modules are needed for each (which has nothing to do with your
ATI card), so your mileage may vary...

Scott

--
Nothing goes to waste when Little Fish are near!
(http://www.littlefish.ca)