Hey Stephen,
There will be two more shocks for you on the keyboard, as long as you
stick to the US international version: ^ and ` will only come up with
the spacebar as well.  This is all to help people with non-english
alphabets and US keyboards to write things like Gänseblümchen and
diótörő.  If you go with the NON international US keyboard, you won't
have the problems with " ' ~ ` ^, but the problem of the lost Alt key
remains.
My main problem was how to get all the extra characters out of my laptop
US keyboard (fat chance of replacing that), and this link gave a good
start to doing that.
http://vh224401.truman.edu/~dbindner/guide/x1456.html
Hope it helps?
cheers