On Wednesday 04 August 2004 09:54 pm, Dan Gordon wrote:

> > Dan, I too run FS, no problems with it except that after a boot I
> > have to goto MCC > System > Services and start it for some reason.
> > When you goto GRC, what does your port scan show?  Mine shows all
> > ports closed except for 21, 23 and 80 which for some reason I can't
> > get to close.  I think my DSL modem has something to do with that.
> > I've got the docs for the modem but I don't really want to mess with
> > it and possibly bork the whole thing.  If you have ports that show
> > stealth how did you do it.?
>
> Im sending this back to the list in case anyone else is having problems.
> First start firestarter from a term,  then use the wizzard to set it up.
> On the first screen make sure the device says eth0 and then check the
> box that says IP address is assigned via DHCP. Click forward, unless
> you are sharing this connection you dont need to change this screen.
> Click forward, this screen alows you to set up any network services you
> may need for this computer its pretty self explanatory, click forward
> then click save.  You need to use this wizard at least once to make
> firestarter write the rules to iptables.  Now when you check with
> grc.com you should see most if not all ports stealthed.  I have used a
> dsl modem with firestarter and it should not matter, you are still
> using eth0 and getting your ip from dhcp.
>
> Regards,
> Dan Gordon

I've done that many a time in the couple of years I've been running FS and
the result is always the same, closed but not stealthed.  Now correct me if
I'm wrong but FS writes its own rules files in the
/etc/firestarter/firewall.sh script, correct?  Therefore does iptables need
to be running or not?

--
Chris
Registered Linux User 283774 http://counter.li.org