On Saturday 07 August 2004 14:28:02, BJ Tracy wrote:
> Hello All (again),

I'm gonna chop this up to respond to specific points. Hope that doesn't mess
with anyone's mind.

If I weren't the one doing it it would probably mess with mine. <g>

> Let me make this as straight forward and short as possible but I need to
> give you Linux/Mandrake brains some history.

Oh! You asked for a "Mandrake brain" and got stuck with me. Damn! I'd feel
slighted if it were me.

> After much research on my part about switching to Linux and then with all
> the security issues with Exposer(Explorer) I was fed up and made the move.

Valid reasons but not the only ones.

> However my confidence was not there so I opted for a dual boot system(bad
> mistake).  Here's the harddrive layout of what I had - Cdrive was 80GB and
> had XP on it and I had a Ddrive of 120GB.  So thinking I wanted to do a
> dual boot system I went and bought a 250GB for Linux.  Tried the dual boot
> system and was not happy.  So I tried to install Mandrake 10.0 and erase XP
> but (Not thinking) it put it back on the 250 Gb drive.  So I went in and
> Installed Mandrake on the original Cdrive(after making copies of my data
> and pics) and had Mandarke do the partitioning.  Everything seems to be ok
> but when I look at the Hard Disk on my desktop there is just one.

What do you mean you had Mandrake do the partitioning? See below for an
explanation of the question.

The dual boot idea wasn't necessarily a mistake. I "officially" dual booted
Mandrake and Windows 98 SE for almost 2 years. Suddenly one day I realized
Mandrake had run continuously for 63 days with no reboots. Windows hadn't
booted for over 12 months. I salvaged the disk space and gave away the
Windows 98 disks.

> NOW- I go into system/config/mountpoints and look at the drives in there
> partition state and it is strange.
> hda - has ext3 and swap details
> hdb - has NOTHING for details
> hdc - has ext3 ans swap details

The mistake(s) you made was probably two-fold. First; when you "had Mandrake
do the partitioning" did you do "Use Free Space" or "Erase Entire Disk" or
Custom Partitioning" or??? If custom, did you click the tabs for the other
drives and assign mount points? If not you basically told Mandrake it wasn't
allowed to touch them. Sort of an ignore order. hda has a Mandrake install
because that was the last one you did, hdc has an old Mandrake install
because that was the previous one, but, again, you didn't tell the boot
loader or the OS what to do with all those wonderful partitions. The tables
were recognized but...

Also depending on the security level you chose at install you may never see
the other disks/partitions in user land. Coming in as a self proclaimed "fed
up" soon to be ex Windows customer you may have gotten a bit eager since
Mandrake allows you to choose the security level. BTW "Standard" is higher
than XP can get without a lot of help.

Before I make another point (and there is more than one to be made) is it your
intent to *never* put Windows back on this system?

> What do I need to do?  Do I have to start over AGAIN?(bummer)
> and a footnote, if I restart my pc I get a message that says "HardDrive
> Config error   - sda was removed" one time and then the next time is says
> it was added.

I don't see why you'd need to start over unless you aren't happy with the
partition tables you have now. There may be ways to correct any problems
without anything so drastic. You must have harddrake starting at boot
(Mandrake Control Centre, System, Services) and it's trying to guess what you
want done with all that drive space and possibly conflicting mount points,
etc. plus the fact you probably have a boot record on drive hdc and another
on hda now as well.. The simplest thing to do will depend upon the answers to
the questions above. Plus others. Talk to us, please.

> Sorry for the length of this.
> Please advise
> bj

Yeah. It's a tad longer now, isn't it? (-;

Post the answer, give details of the system and what you intend to do and
someone with a brain will definitely jump in and correct me. Assuming I have
a chance for another reply. (lol) OK?

Regards;
Charlie
P.S.; Now that I've tried to start the ball rolling to help you please get rid
of the Reply To: setting in your K-Mail client. It's a pain to "demand" a
personal reply on a community help list. Please.
C.
- --
Edmonton,AB,Canada User #244963 at http://counter.li.org
Mandrakelinux release 10.1 (Beta 1) for i586 kernel 2.6.8-0.rc2.2mdk
14:34:06 up 2 days, 3:27, 2 users, load average: 0.07, 0.14, 0.25
I have a very good DENTAL PLAN.  Thank you.