On Sunday 08 August 2004 15:47:03, BJ Tracy wrote:

> SNIP
> Thanks for all your help.

De nada.

> > If you want a clean slate I _strongly_ recommend that you use the custom
> > partitioning mode but first do a Google search for partitioning and read
> > a lot.
>
> There's a ton of stuff to read and I have several books as well.

<devil's advocate>
Don't procratinate now. Eventually you will want to get it over with. I know
you want to do it, do it now, you won't have a problem...
</devil's advocate>

> > That's why so many newcomers end up
> > reinstalling and changing their partition structures so many times. Not
> > enough research and too much enthusiasm.
>
> Guilty.  Just like a kid at Cmas.

Hey! I resemble that remark!

The day I stop answering to newbie somebody please kill me.

> > You're welcome bj. I haven't helped you yet though. Here's some personal
> > recommendations;
> >
> > When you do the reinstall (and I know you want to so let's get that out
> > of the way now) set a large enough _separate /home partition_ that your
> > user(s) won't run out of personal space. Also since you have enough drive
> > space for anything you may want to do, the primary master should include
> > in my opinion:
> >
> > / the "root" of the system where everything hangs. Choose a size that
> > seems comfy then reduce it. I never go more than 800 MB
>
> Question: does the "/" root have to be on every drive?

No. Just the primary installation drive. Wherever you end up having that.

> > As minimums, and I'd choose the JFS filesystem rather than ext3 (old tech
> > with a journal grafted on)
> > JFS is IBM's technology and it works exceptionally well, seems
> > completely stable, and is fast. I'd use it for everything.
>
> As for ext 3 or JFS, will I see a difference on my GUI?  I'm not a
> programmer, and I don't do any development (yet), just a computer
> nut,,,,However I  do a lot of pictures and genealogy as well as my business
> stuff.  Just curious.

Not unless you are so blazing fast yourself that you don't actually need a
system. JFS is just a better file system with a better journal. ext2 is a
hang over from the '60s and ext3 is just ext2 with a journal. JFS is fast and
clean, seems great at 'disaster recovery' and seems to be invisible in
operation. What more do you want? XFS is for _really big_ iron. It's from
SGI, the people that build the systems with the funny name...oh yeah Cray.

> > The other drive or drives, depending on how many you keep in the box, are
> > up to you to choose partition sizes and mount points but I'd still
> > recommend using JFS.
>
> My first two drives are Master and Slave.  Does it matter if the (NEW) 250
> GB drive is a Master or Slave on the cable it's on?

Sure it does bj. Where do you want the disks and in what order? lol

As long as you don't try to have 2 masters or two slaves on one channel.
You'll get a scolding for that kind of behaviour. By the installer. Or the
BIOS. Or both. <g>

But _not_ from me! No, never that...much. I've done it myself a couple times
over the last 10 years. Exhausted brain fart mode.

> Thanks again,
> You are a very appreciated resource.
> bj

You are welcome, but I thought a resource was defined as something valuable to
be hoarded or exploited.

I'm thinking there ain't that much here. (;

Charlie
- --
Edmonton,AB,Canada User #244963 at http://counter.li.org
Mandrakelinux release 10.1 (Beta 1) for i586 kernel 2.6.8-0.rc2.2mdk
16:26:10 up 3 days, 5:19, 1 user, load average: 0.21, 0.10, 0.08
Is truth not truth for all?
                -- Natira, "For the World is Hollow and I have Touched
                   the Sky", stardate 5476.4.