On Monday 09 August 2004 04:18 pm, JoeHill wrote:
> On Mon, 9 Aug 2004 15:23:23 -0400
>

> > Well, all I can say is, my wife's machine is a default install
> > of XP, has been for a few years, and we've never had a virus,
> > worm, or otherwise. The only thing protecting the box is my
> > firewall (BBIAgent) and AVG, a free anti-virus app. She uses IE,
> > Outlook Express, and has no problems.
>
> I should have mentioned, said wife is a *very light user*,
> spending much less than an hour per day on the machine, and that
> the firewall is a *real* firewall, not some crap like ZoneAlarm or
> BlackIce.

Hmmm... I suppose that would make me a heavy user, spending upwards
of 8 hours a day on the machine.  :)    and there's two of us...
(heard from the other room: "can I have the phone line a
minute?"  ... "Ok, you can have it back now...")

I dumped IE and OE shortly after dumping AOL - about 3 months after
the first time I pushed the power button on my first machine.  Like
I said, the only thing I use IE for is to make sure webpages I build
for my husband's site load properly for people who DO use it.

I've never used a firewall and am probably too lax about keeping
Norton updated, but haven't been virus'd in over five years.  Maybe
I'm just lucky?  :)

why linux?      because MS is to OS as AOL is to ISP.