On Monday 09 August 2004 07:42 pm, Bryan Phinney wrote:
> On Monday 09 August 2004 07:19 pm, jedson wrote:
> >After working through the program, providing the info they
> > wanted as well as I could, I clicked the button to test the
> > connection. Got the message "The system doesn't seem to be
> > connected to the Internet. Try to re configure your connection."

I went through this exactly just last week (and the week before, etc)
and after researching drivers, downloading, installing,
reconfiguring and all that (but it was good practice :)   )  I broke
down and bought an external serial modem.

> Getting winmodems to work can be tricky under Linux.  We would
> need to know what kind you have.  There is a script you can
> download and run at: http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/
> that should help determine which modem and chipset you have and
> even help you determine which driver you need to get.

another site is linuxant.com/drivers - that is, if you have a
conexant modem.

> An easier solution is to invest a little money and buy an external
> serial modem.  Those are pretty much plug and play with Linux and
> you can get one for just a little money, $18 or so in the US.

In this part of the US it's more like $60.  The keyword here is
"serial," and the only external serial modem at OfficeMax was a
BestData v92.  Maybe if I'd checked a few other stores I'd saved a
dollar or two, but my patience was gone.  :)

a side note:
since I installed the external modem I now can't connect on the
windows side, using *either* modem.  :-/

lotsaluck,

I'm in command-line culture shock.