Brian Phinny
At 09:20 PM 08/09/04, you wrote:

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.  There is nothing to getting your computer
setup that you can not learn and do, and when you are done, you will get a
much greater sense of accomplishment as well as knowing a lot more about your
computer than you would have from Windows.  Linux is, in my opinion, better,
faster, more efficient, cheaper, more free (as in speech), and leaves you
beholden to no one vendor and in no one vendor's pocket.  However, there is a
trade-off that you must make to get those benefits.  That is the necessity to
learn.  Not a bad bargain, for me.

Agree with all the above, especially "as in speech." Needed the encouragement. Thanks.

I followed the instructions about downloading the scanModem program, etc.

Not sure what to do with the results:

*****

UPDATE=2004 July 30

ONLY use scanModem downloaded as: http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/scanModem.gz

./scanModem should ONLY be run within a Linux/UNIX partition.

If within a MicroSoft/DOS partition, abort with Ctrl-C now !!!

Copy scanModem.gz to your Linux partition and restart.

./scanModem: line 1: gcc: command not found

Providing detail for device at PCI_bus 00:02.6

with vendor-ID:device-ID

----:----

Class 0703: 1039:7013 Modem: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] Intel 537 [56k Winmodem] (rev a0) (prog-if 00 [Generic])

SubSystem 104d:8128 Sony Corporation: Unknown device 8128

Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 3

I/O ports at a000 [size=256]

I/O ports at 9800 [size=128]

1039:7013 SIS 630 with Subsystem chipset POSSIBLY from:

Pctel

AgereSystems

Intel

Smartlink

Please browse the folder Modem/ containing the following files:

1stRead.txt General.txt Rational.txt Testing.txt

DriverCompiling.txt ModemData.txt !stRead.txt

[EMAIL PROTECTED] jedson]$

****

The program did produce all those files that are mentioned. I have copied them and can send any or all of them, but for the most part they don't make a lot of sense to me. Does the line, "Class 0703: 1039:7013 Modem: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] Intel 537 [56k Winmodem] (rev a0) (prog-if 00 [Generic])" give you what is needed? Where do I go from here?

Jedson