M.Schild wrote:
>>**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
>>card 0: SI7012 [SiS SI7012], device 0: Intel ICH [SiS SI7012]
>>  Subdevices: 1/1
>>  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
>>
>>My onboard sound works (although it did not until the 2.6 kernel in
>>mdk10.0). If there are any settings or .conf files that would be of
>>use I'll post them back to you.
>

> Thanks. So there is hope :-)
> Maryse

I just tried something, make a backup of your /etc/modules.conf and
/etc/modprobe.conf like "cp /etc/modules.conf /etc/modules.conf.bak"
and "cp /etc/modprobe.conf /etc/modprobe.conf.bak" (just in case
something goes wrong, because "alsaconf" writes to these files when
it runs). This way you can change things back to what you had before.

Now run "alsaconf" as root and follow the instructions. When it
starts it will ask you to shut down alsa and sound, it will attempt
to do it its self but its not 100% (it worked for me, without me
shutting them down).

If you want you can turn them off your self as root with

"chkconfig alsa off"
"chkconfig sound off"

and check to see if there off with

"chkconfig --list"

and turn them back on with

"chkconfig alsa on"
"chkconfig sound on"

if "alsaconf" doesn't restart them, it should though.

Alsaconf wrote a new /etc/modprobe.conf and sound still works. You
can try it and see what happens like I said you can put things back
if not.

Note: It will write to modprobe.conf on 2.6 kernel and modules.conf
on 2.4 kernel.

Mike