On Saturday 14 August 2004 11:00 am, BJ Tracy wrote:

> SNIP
> Hello All,
> Question for the group.  With Linux,  do you need a firewall on every PC??
> In my office I have a LAN set up and with that I have a (hard wired) Router
> going out to my DSL.  I thought in this way I was protected.  Also do I
> need to install Virus Protection on my new Linux PC's ( I have been using
> Linux going on 6 weeks now and trying to learn as much as possible).  If
> so,  do I install DR. WEB that came with my MDK 10?
> Please Advise.

There are very few virus threats for Linux, and IIRC, almost none in the wild.
Obviously, if you install software provided from dubious sources, there is
the possibility that you will install something that will be malicious.  With
Linux, it is much more important to eliminate unused services, limit network
connectivity to those things that you need, practice good security by using
non-trivial/obvious passwords, limiting user access and open accounts than to
install anti-virus software.

> My thoughts:
> I thought that since I switched to Linux and had a Router(hard wired) as a
> firewall, I was protected from most of this.

This totally depends on the type of router that you are using.  If the router
includes stateful packet inspection (SPI), then it is much more like a real
router than if it simply performs Network Address Translation (NAT).  Most
inexpensive DSL routers are like the latter and only do NAT for the computers
behind them.  Those like the former are better because they help to thwart
spoofed packets and may include some rudimentary DOS and attack protection.

However, you should always consider security to be much like castle defense.
You don't want to set up a single barrier and rely solely on that barrier to
protect you.  The reason is that once that barrier is breached, you are
completely open.  So, you want to layer your defenses so that even if one
avenue is breached, the attacker still has to get through additional layers.

Some suggestions:
1. Hardware router is good, it prevents easy entry into the LAN to a trusted
state.
2.  Software router next.  Installing a good software router like shorewall is
good too, it will deny most incoming connections that you don't expressly
open up while still allowing outgoing connections as long as they are
initiated from inside.  Even if the attacker somehow manages to bypass the
hardware router, they will still get packets dropped from inside.  You can
also allow only specific outgoing connections to prevent filesharing apps and
other sundries from running, although I am much more lenient about those
things with Linux than I would be with Windows.
3.  Use hosts.deny and hosts.allow to only allow those services that you want
to have access.  You can allow liberal activity from 192.168.*.* or 10.*.*.*
addresses since those are non-routable on the Internet and must originate on
your internal LAN.
4.  Send network services through an SSH tunnel where it makes sense.
Services like VNC or X should always be pushed through a secure connection,
never opened up on the Internet.
5.  Limit all services that allow information to be gleaned.  I allow POPS and
IMAPS on my server but insist the users email accounts do not match up to
their usernames.  That way, even if you have the email address of someone on
my system, you can't use that as an account name to try to dictionary attack
the password.  I also limit ssh access to only those accounts that need it,
not all the accounts on the system.
6.  Install an Intrusion detection system, like portsentry, hostsentry, Snort,
etc.  You can get advance warnings if your machine is being probed.  This can
be especially useful if you are exposed to the Internet in a DMZ but is
actually also useful if the hardware firewall is compromised in some way and
someone manages to open it up completely.
7.  Install some type of logchecker that sends regular (daily) updates to you
based on specific criteria.  For instance, you might grep all login attempts
on an FTP server if you run one so that you can tell when someone is trying
to bypass security using invalid accounts or by trying dictionary attacks
against a password.  You might grep web server logs to see if someone is
trying to access or search for formmail scripts or trying to use the
mod_proxy to proxy out to an external connection.  Or perhaps too many login
failures on a secured directory.

Just think of it as a layer castle defense.  Build walls, also moats, interior
choke points, cut off tunnel access, etc.  Each time you can add a layer, you
make yourself more secure.
--
Bryan Phinney