I will need to take a look and see.

The error comes when I try to go into the preferences for the sound. I am not trying to play anything in particular but my attempts have been with mp3's so yes with xmms and also CD's. I have not tried to play a video file so I have not used totem yet.

I will have to see if I can find the sound card that is on that machine when I get home and run the config software that comes with Mandrake.