On Wednesday 18 August 2004 10:53 am, lmcilwain wrote:
| Hello all,
|
| I have installed mandrake 10 on my micron u360 laptop (old) but it
| doesn't seem to have sound drivers installed.  When I try to run
| anything that requires sound it tells me that it can't find the audio
| mixer or something to that affect.
|
| My speaker icon makes it seem like I have sound yet I get that error.
| It is not X'd out.  I don't know what chipset I have cause I don't have
| the manual.
|
| Does anyone know where I can find any generic drivers that I can
| install to see if I can try to get some sound?
|
| Thanks,

I suspect that your old laptop may have a SoundBlaster or a SB clone.  That
would require sndconfig to locate and configure the card.  It is no longer
installed by default, but it is on the installation disks.  As root:

#urpmi sndconfig

After the necessary depends and sndconfig installs, as root:

#sndconfig

If you are lucky, it will find your card, and you will hear the sound sample.

Erylon